The aim of the therapist is a simple one, to make you better, to help you out of pain and regain function. How is this done? Firstly we, employ a screening protocol to look at your body and thus understand where the primary restriction is within your body. This is the restiction within your body’s tissue that is having the biggest effect on your body… From this primary restriction numerous compensation patterns occur, these patterns are usually the ones that cause you the pain and primary offen remains “hidden”.
What Can Bowen Help?
The Bowen Technique frequently offers pain and emotional relief where other modalities have failed.
Bowen Therapy is appropriate for newborn babes through to the elderly and infirm.
DURING YOUR SESSIONS
You will lay on your stomach for the first half.
Your therapist will gently roll your muscles and soft tissues in a few places. Then they will leave the room for 2 to 5 minutes.
During this time your body will be processing the data and reacting to the information generated by the moves.
You may feel some weird sensations like itching, tingling, rippling, euphoria, and heat. You may not feel anything.
Occasionally a pain will flare a little and then release.
You may fall asleep.
AFTER YOU’RE SESSIONS
Walk around the car park or village for 5 minutes.
Drink lots of water.
If you feel any detoxing symptoms take a warm bath –not hot and add 2 cups of Epsom salts. This will help to rid your body of the toxins.
Keep moving around on the day of your treatment. Don’t sit for long stretches.
You may have a long and great night’s sleep.
Don’t be surprised by anything that happens; good, bad, or indifferent.
Most often, clients feel really good for a day or two then slip back to square one. That’s a good sign because your body did make some changes. The fact that they didn’t hold means that your body recalls square one and that’s the comfort zone (discomfort zone). Follow up sessions will hold longer, and I usually find it takes about 3 weekly sessions for lasting relief.
On occasion the pain gets worse for a day or so then leaves. Also, old pains can resurface for a brief period. And, a new pain appears on rare occasions. Again, these are good signs all of which mean that your body is processing and changing.
Avoid adjustments and massages until your body is fully adjusted to the new process in place.
HOW AND WHY DOES BOWEN THERAPY WORK?
The moves create reflex arcs. The knee jerk reaction is a reflex arc. When the tendon is struck by the hammer, impulses are sent to the nervous system and impulses are sent back to the muscle which then contracts. The arcs from the Bowen moves cause a relaxation and loosening rather than a contraction.
The loosening results in a number of postural shifts including the spine. This improves the function of the Central and Autonomic Nervous Systems.
The loosening also allows for better flow of water, blood, lymph, and meridians.
And, the loosening improves the liquid crystal micro-current system which stimulates all of the repair and regenerating processes.
The moves also generate release of micro-currents at the time of the move.
Many of the moves are over meridian points which store bio-chemicals including beta-endorphins. These are released and improve tissue healing and regeneration. The endorphins improve the networking of the central, immune, and endocrine systems.
People also go from the Sympathetic overload and release of excessive adrenalin which causes the flight-fright-fight stage into the rest and digest stage.
The bottom line is that it re-sets the body so it can heal itself.
The Bowen Therapy can provide significant benefit to clients suffering from the following:
- Muscular and skeletal problems in neck, shoulder, hip, knees, ankle and back, including sciatica, Whiplash arthritic pain, fibromyalgia…..
- Frozen shoulder, tennis and golf elbow, R.S.I. and carpal tunnel
- Problems with posture and body alignment
- Migraine and recurring headaches, neuralgia
- Bell’s Palsy, Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinson’s Disease and the difficulties suffered by stroke victims
- Respiratory problems including asthma, bronchitis, hay fever
- Sports injuries – treatment and prevention.
- Work-related injuries
- Digestive conditions such as kidney problems, constipation, colic, IBS, indigestion, diverticulitis, colitis and Crohn’s Disease
- High blood pressure
- Eczema & Psoriasis
- Hormonal, & Gynaecological conditions, pregnancy and fertility problems, infertility (male and female), PMS, breast lumps , menopause
- Stress management, ME, fatigue and sleep problems.
- General relaxation and body balancing
- Bowen may help during pre- and post-operative periods
- Children and even small babies respond especially well to Bowen treatment and it is also ideal to keep the body comfortable and balanced during pregnancy
- Typically a client will require four to six sessions but the number of sessions is very much determined by:
- The type of condition which affects the client;
- The severity of their condition;
- The complexity of their condition;
- The length of time that they have had the condition;
- Their lifestyle (e.g. diet, exercise, pressure of occupation and family);
- Whether the condition is a single condition suffered by the client or whether the client suffers from multiple conditions (and if so how many).
The Bowen Therapy is very forgiving and the therapist can work simultaneously on a number of problems. The Bowen Therapy generally provides safe, speedy relief and is usually successful in dealing with long standing conditions.
At the extremes, simple problems can resolve in just one session and more complex situations may require many more than four sessions. Some problems resolve but require ongoing maintenance to remain symptom free, this is relatively rare, but does sometimes happen.
If the client experiences absolutely no positive results after the third session, we would seek to find other alternatives with you, rather than proceed with another session.
Ultimately the number of sessions is determined by the client solely on results. If the client is seeing tangible and measurable improvements and obtaining symptom relief, but the condition is not yet fully resolved we would recommend that the client continue the Bowen Therapy. The final choice is always the client’s.
The Bowen Therapy is not like other therapies. It is safe, gentle, effective and achieves significant results.
The Bowen “moves” appear to initiate and stimulate a release and re-balance in the bodies facia. This facia is a liquid crystal bio-matrix that covers everything in our body. It covers the muscles, individual muscle fibres, organs and the nerves. Signals are sent through the facia which translates into a safe, rapid self healing process that has few, if any, short term side effects and which typically provides long term relief from pain and discomfort for a large number of clients affected by a wide range of conditions