What Can Bowen Help?
The Bowen Technique frequently offers pain and emotional relief where other modalities have failed.
Bowen Therapy is appropriate for newborn babes through to the elderly and infirm.
The Bowen Therapy can provide significant benefit to clients suffering from the following:
- Muscular and skeletal problems in neck, shoulder, hip, knees, ankle and back, including sciatica, Whiplash arthritic pain, fibromyalgia…..
- Frozen shoulder, tennis and golf elbow, R.S.I. and carpal tunnel
- Problems with posture and body alignment
- Migraine and recurring headaches, neuralgia
- Bell’s Palsy, Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinson’s Disease and the difficulties suffered by stroke victims
- Respiratory problems including asthma, bronchitis, hay fever
- Sports injuries – treatment and prevention.
- Work-related injuries
- Digestive conditions such as kidney problems, constipation, colic, IBS, indigestion, diverticulitis, colitis and Crohn’s Disease
- High blood pressure
- Eczema & Psoriasis
- Hormonal, & Gynaecological conditions, pregnancy and fertility problems, infertility (male and female), PMS, breast lumps , menopause
- Stress management, ME, fatigue and sleep problems.
- General relaxation and body balancing
- Bowen may help during pre- and post-operative periods
- Children and even small babies respond especially well to Bowen treatment and it is also ideal to keep the body comfortable and balanced during pregnancy
- Typically a client will require four to six sessions but the number of sessions is very much determined by:
- The type of condition which affects the client;
- The severity of their condition;
- The complexity of their condition;
- The length of time that they have had the condition;
- Their lifestyle (e.g. diet, exercise, pressure of occupation and family);
- Whether the condition is a single condition suffered by the client or whether the client suffers from multiple conditions (and if so how many).
The Bowen Therapy is very forgiving and the therapist can work simultaneously on a number of problems. The Bowen Therapy generally provides safe, speedy relief and is usually successful in dealing with long standing conditions.
At the extremes, simple problems can resolve in just one session and more complex situations may require many more than four sessions. Some problems resolve but require ongoing maintenance to remain symptom free, this is relatively rare, but does sometimes happen.
If the client experiences absolutely no positive results after the third session, we would seek to find other alternatives with you, rather than proceed with another session.
Ultimately the number of sessions is determined by the client solely on results. If the client is seeing tangible and measurable improvements and obtaining symptom relief, but the condition is not yet fully resolved we would recommend that the client continue the Bowen Therapy. The final choice is always the client’s.
Fertility Solutions for couples trying for pregnancy can be costly and very stressful.
Bowen Technique has been used successfully in Australia, New Zealand and the United Kingdom in the treatment of infertile couples who have had other physical problems ruled out. Bowtech offers couples safe and gentle fertility solutions.
- Balancing the endocrine (hormonal) system
- Helping to balance and stabilise the pelvic area
- Regulating the menstrual cycle
- Enhancing the fertility of both the male and the female
- Relieving mental and emotional stress
Should both partners have Bowen Therapy when trying to have a baby?
It is important for couples seeking fertility solutions, that both partners have Bowen sessions to help them to achieve optimum physical and mental condition, so conception can happen naturally.
Are there any changes we need to make to help with the fertility program?
Often there are health and lifestyle changes that need to be implemented a few months prior to conception to increase the chances of fertility.
We have been extremely stressed during the process of trying to fall pregnant. Can Bowen Therapy help with anxiety?
Yes. Couples often are experiencing extreme anxiety due to their inability to conceive at a given time or due to the enormous expenses and emotional stress involved if undertaking IVF. Bowen Therapy relaxes the nervous system and helps to improved the health of all body systems.
How does the Bowen Technique help with fertility?
The Bowen Technique relaxes the nervous system, the muscular system and balances the hormones. This in turn improves the natural blood flow, lymph drainage and nerve supply of the body. Quite often, once the menstrual cycle is regulated with the Bowen Technique, pregnancy occurs. Of course, results vary from case to case. However, the Bowen Technique can definitely improve your overall health AND increase your chances of a healthy pregnancy.
Bowen Therapy is a very gentle form of natural healing. It needs to be experienced to be appreciated.
Bowen Therapy comprises a series of light, gentle “moves” applied to specific points on the body with significant time pauses between each series of moves. These “gaps” between moves are to allow the body to respond to and integrate the changes that each move instigates. The therapist will usually leave the room during these pauses to allow the client to relax and not feel obliged to hold conversation or feel they are being observed. Pause lengths may vary from person to person and condition to condition.
The therapist uses his fingers and thumbs to “lightly” move over muscles, ligaments and tendons and sometimes, directly over nerves themselves to evoke a healing response in the client’s body. The ”moves” are gently applied and no force is used in the Bowen Therapy.
On 99% of occasions, the client will let him/herself go into a deep state of relaxation and sometimes actually go to sleep.
Whilst it is preferable to work directly upon the skin, the Bowen moves can be executed through light clothing.
The Therapy is so gentle and non-invasive that the first time reaction from recipients of the Bowen Therapy is invariably to ask “How could something so gentle and non-invasive achieve any results?” A healthy scepticism is very common prior to the first treatment and it is the client’s experience of the therapy and the results during the first week that alter the client’s perception of the therapy.
Because most people have not heard of the Bowen Therapy the often find it difficult to grasp the concept of the “moves” used by the therapist.
The Bowen Therapy is not:
- Energy work;
- Physiotherapy or Neuromuscular ‘re-education’;
- Trigger Point work;
- Fascia Release;
- Lymphatic Massage;
- Emotional Release Therapy;
- A religious, charismatic or spiritual technique.
The Bowen Therapy is not like other therapies. It is safe, gentle, effective and achieves significant results.
The Bowen “moves” appear to initiate and stimulate a release and re-balance in the bodies facia. This facia is a liquid crystal bio-matrix that covers everything in our body. It covers the muscles, individual muscle fibres, organs and the nerves. Signals are sent through the facia which translates into a safe, rapid self healing process that has few, if any, short term side effects and which typically provides long term relief from pain and discomfort for a large number of clients affected by a wide range of conditions